Sorry about this but you guys are my best bet for an accurate answer.

We all use Nicad cells- if not in our portie minidisc, then in other gadgets
I bet.  Most of us probably have a sackload of AA Nicads.

But what about PP3 Nicads.  I've got two which I bought from Tandy here
in the UK [aka Radio Shack / Battery Shack].  Yeah the young sales guy
accepted the 2-for-1 alkaline battery coupon for a second PP3 Nicad.  It's
always good to know their staff are the electronics gurus that joe-public
might need and not some spotty student :-P...  Not.

It powers my digi-multimeter fine, it done over 2 months and I just replaced
it with the other one and its fine (both were charged the day bought).  But
what gets me is *WHY ARE THEY 7.2V BATTERIES* ie 6 cells, instead
of 7 cells which would give 8.4V nominal output.  I know dry cells are 6x1.5V
but surely that doesn't mean Nicads mustbe 6x1.2V!

Its madness!!!  Some devices have problems with Nicad cells only giving
1.2V rather than 1.5V (or more like 1.4V when loaded, even alkalines).  Can
any of you guys explain why PP3 Nicads are 6 cell batteries rather than 7 cells?
I mean a 9V device could easily say "no way" to a fully-charged 7.2V nicad,
but the steady 8.4V with an extra cell should satisfy it.

As I say it's no problem for me but doesn't logic suggest that PP3 Nicads be
composed of seven rather than six cells?  I'm sure there's a reason for it, but
I haven't figured it out yet, except perhaps internal symmetry.

I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent guy (AD&D IN:17, possibly even 18, though
probably counter-balanced by about WI: 8).  Some of you will know exactly what
that means, if not don't worry as it's not directly relevant, Advanced Dungeons
and Dragons RPG terminology used.  Oh and if you have AD&D'd, my estimate
of my own IN score is based on independent tests, not my personal ego :-P

Cheers,
PrinceGaz -- "now tell me why Nicad PP3 batteries are 7.2V.  Go on!"

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: http://website.lineone.net/~princegaz/
ICQ: 36892193