Hi. I'm new to this list and new to mini-discs so, please forgive me if this question
has
already been dealt with.  I recently bought a Sharp MD-MS702 MK. It came with an
optical/digital cable for digital recording. And, the manual talks about analog and
digital recording.

What's not clear to me is if I record using the optical cable from a digital source (my
Roland VS880 multi-track or a DAT deck) am I recording an analog version of the sound
or
am I copying the digital information? Also if I record via mic, which will be analog,
can
I copy it out to a digital device as digital information? Somehow this doesn't seem
possible but I'm not certain I understand the difference in the cabling.

thanks, jim