"Simon Gardner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In the US there's the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992
> [http://www.hrrc.org/ahra.html] (which allows people to take copies of
> musical works for their own backup/compilation purposes - however it does
> not give anyone the "right" to record digitally from one source to another.
> If a copyright holder decides to set SCMS to No Copy, then they're well
> within their legal rights to do so.

Don't forget that the AHRA also exempts you from copyright
infringement suits for engaging in "customary home recording
practices", which include copying music from the radio, the library, a
friend, etc. Though I do not read in this statute a direct mandate
that CDs be made digitally copyable, I think it is implied here, no?
The law restricts consumers to making digital copies for one
generation, on SCMS equipped units, and in exchange they get
protection from suit. Wouldn't CDs that are made copy protected be
violating the intent, at least, of this law?

> You refer to yourself as a legitimate owner of a copy of work - when you
> purchase a CD you don't own any more than a shiny platter and a nice box.
> All copyrights, incuding control of what happens with them rests firmly with
> the copyright holder (artist/record company etc)

You have one more right, the right to sell your shiny platter to a
third person.

Rick