First point, the R50 absolutely, postively RULES, and there are still
ones for sale.

Second point:  The Aiwa portable doesn't have a line out, BUT I have
seen VERY few complaints about it here, so I infer it's pretty damn
reliable.

Third point:   Reliability is a HUGE problem with minidiscs.  Don't
get in the game unless you search out a VERY reliable model (for
example, the R50), or unless you have 200 or 300 dollars you can play
with.

Fourth point... QUESTION:   Does anyone have an opinion as to what is
the most reliable DECK (not portable) on the market ($400 or less
please)?   I would be extremely grateful for any opinions.  How's that
JVC deck with the kool keyboard-type remote?  How's Pioneer?  How's
the new line of Sonys??????  Huh?????????  Huh??????????

Regards, to this wonderful wonderful list!!!

         Steve (whose JE-510 is slowly dying -- it's started turning
itself on with minidiscs IN the slot....