> Timothy P. Stockman wrote:
>
> The underlying issue I was getting at is: what is the
> resolution of the A/D converter on the JE520 and
> how is that affected by adjusting the record level
> *after* the signal has been converted to digital?

This is interesting, thanks for raising the issue. I had assumed that the
deck had its own preamp with a digital gain control.

> My point is this:  it seems that to get optimum performance
> out of the A/D, it seems best to put a potentiometer at
> the analog input of the deck.

What if your source is too LOW ?

> BTW -- If you use a pot with a conductive plastic element, this will
> minimize any degradation.

Does anyone know if this is the best type ?

> Digital record level adjustment seems to be the wave of
> the future; it's less expensive for the manufacturer since the
> hardware to do it is already there.

If you're going to do this properly, you need to use an A/D with more
resolution and a wider input voltage range, so you can use some of the extra
bits for overload margin, and some to provide digital "gain". Perhaps they
do this already ?

        simon