At 03:29 PM 8/18/99 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have a Sony MDS-E11 which can be controlled by a PC using remote serial
>commands.
>
>The communications protocols are 9600 8N1, and the commands are in
>hexadecimal.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for software to use, or experience in using
>off the shelf terminal software with these or similar machines?
Hi David,

Assuming that you have the specifications as to which hexadecimal codes
produce which results, it would be trivial to write a windows program to do
anything you wanted using either Delphi (from Introl - formally Borland) or
Visual Basic (from Microsoft).  Although I prefer Delphi, Visual Basic is
probably cheaper and faster to learn.

If you're interested in learning to program, either of these programs would
be lots of fun to learn, and you could have your own custom program to
control your MD written in a few days.

If you do have the specs on the protocol, send it to me and I'll put
together a little sample program to get you started.

Regards,

Paul