Thanks to all who provided so much information about this. If I knew
more about electronics, I probably could figure out the answers to
the following questions from the info provided, but...

1. Could using a regular dynamic mic really damage my 702?  Before
I saw the warning in the manual, I tried a regular mic and it seemed to
work OK (but occasionally there was a lot of static -- could the power
supplied by the 702 have built up somewhere and then discharged, causing
the static?)

2. Is it OK to use an electret mic that takes a battery?  I'd think that
with the battery in, it would "look" like a regular dynamic mic to the
unit, so would present the same danger that the manual warns against.
I'd also think that with the battery out, there would be an open circuit
so the FET wouldn't be powered.

I ordered the Mini Mono mic from Sound Professionals, but would still be
interested in the answers to the above.

tia

Karl