----------

> Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 07:04:10 -0400
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: MD: Sharp MD-MT15(S)

> I just bought a Sharp MD-MT15(S) at Best Buy but haven't opened it yet.
> Before I do, does anyone have any experience with this unit, good or bad?
> The manual says it has 24-bit ATRAC; is this the same as Sony's ATRAC Type
> R?  Thanks.
>
> Bob G.

Bob-

24 bit ATRAC is the resolution of the ASIC DSP chip that Sharp has in their
portables.  The A/D converters on the MT15 are probably 18 or 20 bit.  It is
*not* the same as Sony's Type R, which starts with a 24 bit A/D, dithers
down to 20 bits and feeds a 24 ATRAC bit processor.  Sony's also does
constant error checking by comparing to the original signal lots of times.
(Simplification).

Any digital audio processor should always be higher resolution than the
signal it is processing (i.e 24 bit DSP running ATRAC on a 20 bit signal).
Think of it as digital headroom for the DSP--it can perform its math without
degrading the signal (other than the wanted compression, natch).

-Alex in NYC