>> When digital dubbing, it's important not to record the signal any higher
>> than the "0" mark or you'll get clipping and distortion (when making a
>> digital recording--analog things like cassette decks let you go over the "0"
>> a tad before you start to hear distortion).

>Whilst I agree with this statement totally, in principle, it does seem that
>somehow the Sony engineers have allowed for accidental excursions over the
>0dB mark.

"0" indicates the largest number that can be expressed, and the "over" indicator
means that you've exceeded that number, so clipping *will* occur.  In all but
the most stringent listening environments, occasional clipped peaks are almost
impossible to detect.  Most would have a difficult time hearing even moderate
clipping on a portable unit with "fold-up" headphones or ear buds.

But be aware that clipping *does* occur every time the "over" indicator lights,
so one should consider whether the resulting distortion will be masked by
noise and distortion in the source material or playback environment.

Solutions to the problem of not-enough-headphone-level include outboard
amplifiers, changing to a unit that has higher output voltage (usually one with
more available battery voltage) and changing to more sensitive headphones.