> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 16:03:09 -0400 (EDT)
> From: The artist formerly known as James Caran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: MD: MZR37/55CG
>
> Hello there folks, I need some input on the Sony MZR37.  I am considering
> buying one and I want feedback on how important the "mic sensitivity
> switch", "jog dial" (that I suppose is obvious- ease of data entry), and
> "erase button" (you instead use the "delete" under the edit menu.)  My
> primary purpose is live recording from a board and with mics on different
> occasions.  Is it worth the extra $100 for these features? Thanks for the
> input...

I have the R3 and the R37. My R3 was getting old, battery life really sucks
and it's starting to have record errors, and at the same time my local sony
store decided to have an honest sale and actually bring the R37 down to a good
price.

The mic sensitivity switch I say is useless. I took my R3 to go visit Cher
when she was in town, and I got good sound. Just watch your record levels so
you don't end up clipping. For anything mixed, I use line inputs. And watching
the levels isn't that hard since you can monitor while you adjust levels. Too
bad you can't adjust levels on the fly while recording though.

I don't really miss the Jog Dial(tm). It was rather annoying since the only
task it really grokked was titling. I couldn't use it to skip throught the
tracks, so what's the point. It struck me as something that could break quite
quickly. As it is, my cell phone has one of those accursed dials too. As for
titling, the remote on the R37 isn't too hard to get used to: << / >> to
scroll through the letters, pause for caps, + / - to move around, stop for
enter, and "cancel" to abort.

The menu was a bit more disconcerting, but since I pause a track and then
delete it that didn't bother me too much. I miss the erase+record combo to
blank the disc though.

I don't think the mic sens, erase button and jog dial are worth $100.

> - --p.s.- I, as a soon to be minidisk recorder owner am very interested in
> the "End Search" debate.  Feel free to give the opinions of the ACTUAL
> TOPIC...  :)

Since I just ordered a big box of blanks from minidisco (which arrived here in
Canada on the next business day) I'm not very worried about disc space. My r37
gives me about 3 discs off a set of NiCads. I usually carry 2 extra sets and 5
blanks, so I tend to have 5-7 minutes on the end of my discs, due to the
material and the chances I have to switch "consumables". I used to work with
tape, now I do CDs, so I have this habit of planning my recording before I
burn. I keep my recorded discs locked, so it doesn't bother me. I actually
like the ability to overwrite or append. I'm fairly ambivalent about the ES
issue actually, just mildly in favor.

Be Well,
Chris

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.edmc.net/~wargames  www.ualberta.ca/~ckuethe