I don't know what you consider to be affordable, but I'm pretty happy
(except for one small problem -- see next posting from me) with OPCODE's
SONICPort Optical product
(http://www.opcode.com/products/sonicport_optical/).

The device connects to your laptop's USB port (Win 98 req'd) and takes all
audio out from your Windows system and sends it through the USB port, from
which the SONICPort converts to an optical signal.  It even has
crystal-clear analog audio in/out ports as well, for clean non-digital
transfer.

Since this is a pure digital signal, you will experience no hum or
background noise.

It cost me a bit over $200 from MIDI Classics (http://midi-classics.com).

Hope this helps.

Jon Deutsch