At 11:03 AM 9/18/99 +0200, you wrote:

>Even the in-famous Macrovision protection on DVDs can be bypassed if you own
>a Hollywood+ MPEG2 decoder, and we're talking about a $120 card, not a $5000
>special-hyper-professional equipment.

Actually there is a fairly simple modification to disable Macrovision on
most stand-alone players. Most allow the firmware to be rewritten by some
external means, and some also allow Macrovision to be disabled by breaking
a jumper or isolating the circuitry. It will get harder, though.

>So, in my opinion, we shouldn't worry too much on that. Maybe we should
>worry about what we will do with all our MD equipment, though.

As Gaz pointed out, they can never take away analogue copying. So your MD
equipment will be fine. And what about all the billions of CDs already out
there? Most of us listen to music of a bygone era anyway. :-)

I would never by a C-Dilla disc, and I would fight it to the bitter end
should I have to. But I suspect it is already dead in the water. I never
bought a Macrovision videocassette, because the picture is screwed up even
when fed direct to a TV (the top few lines curl really badly, and
saturation wobbles). I actually took back the ones that I discovered had
Macrovision, just to prove my point. (Wheras others might return the ones
which didn't, heh heh.)

Cheers,

Kade- who lives Macrovision free

--