Simon Mackay asked,

| Also, do any consumer digital recorders allow for monitoring the SCMS status
| of either a recording that is in them or a source that is fed through the
| digital inputs?

On Sony decks (the 520 for sure, I believe also the JE and JB units numbered
530 and higher), in Retry Cause Display Mode, while the unit is playing or
paused during play, the high nybble of the status byte includes the SCMS
status of the current segment:

0 - premastered, penultimate
8 - recordable, penultimate
A - recordable, final
E - recordable, unlimited

(Thanks to Petr Simanek for originally posting that information here.)

I don't know a way to display the SCMS status of an incoming signal, only of
an existing MD recording.