Eric Woudenberg wrote:

> If you have a Sony deck, you can try the procedure outlined here:
>
>         http://www.minidisc.org/mds503_test_mode.html
>
> It will be interesting to hear what you find.

I've just performed the test in a Hi-Fi shop - the person there is also an MD
enthusiast. Memorex disc 1 has a BLER of about 140, and some areas it peaks at
roughly 300, which is when I can hear the difference.

Disc 2 is a complete disaster. The BLER never drops below about 400, which is
why this disc sounds like a badly tuned FM radio.

Disc 3 seems about BLER 100 most of the way through.

Disc 4 was rejected in all the units we tried it in. It had been working, but
it doesn't any more.

Disc 5 is the all-time best disc because the BLER was only about 30!

The pack of 5 discs were purchased last month. Discs 1 and 2 are my "radio
discs" and have been used alternately on a daily basis for about 2 hours each
day (record a radio program at night and listened to during the day). The
others have been used to record about once a week then listened to the next
day, so probably no more than about 6 times each.

I have now put all 5 discs in an envelope to return to Memorex with a nice
letter saying I want replacements. We tested some other Memorex discs in the
shop and almost all of them had BLER 40 to 60. My conclusion is that Memorex
discs are in fact a complete load of [-- expletive removed --] and are best
avoided.

By comparison, I did find one TDK Pro disc with a BLER of about 5 on average.
The TDK RG discs I use seemed to average about 20 to 30 and some of those are
more than a year old.

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK