PrinceGaz wrote:

> > why not just have memory cards that are like MDs or CDs... i.e they hold 74
> > or 80 minutes, you could then buy blank ones and encode your own CDs, or
> > buy pre-recorded ones.
> > It'd be the solid-state equivalent of a MD machine.
>
> Is this a joke?  Where can you get a 64MB memory-card for about 2US$?
> I can get a minidisc which stores 150MB of audio for less than that!
> Pls don't say you use the Rio as I will really consider you a sad sad guy.

I use a Rio...... it's great for demonstrating how much better MD is. :o)

Seriously, I have never managed to see the point in the Rio. It's basically an MD with
no moving parts and no functionality, yet still manages to retain the high price point.
If I want to record something, I want a small device I can flick a switch on and start
recording, not find I have to take a few thousand ££'s worth of laptop computer and
software with me to do so. I spend about 2 to 3 hours each day using my MD to listen to
music, so I carry 3 discs with me - 1 in the recorder and 2 in the pocket on the carry
pouch. To do this with the Rio I would need..... 3 Rio's! Well lets face it, at the
price a memory stick is you might just as well buy another Rio, at least you get more
for your money.

When they start making Rio's or similar devices with the ability to record at near CD
quality and memory becomes cheap enough for me to get 80 minutes worth for about
£2..... I still wont be interested because by then MD will probably have moved on and
we'll be using those 650Mb discs and buying 80 minutes for something silly like 50p
each, with the new 650Mb discs costing maybe £5.

BTW - Memory prices are about to rise again apparently so your best off leaving memory
upgrades etc. until after XMas.

That's today's ranting over with! :o)

--
Magic

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A book judged by it's cover makes for a very shallow read."