Simon Mackay asKed,

| When building MiniDisc compilations of select tracks from assorted CDs, I
| tend to prefer a high degree of control as far as tightening the spaces
| between songs so there is no silent space between the songs because of my
| Sony portable suppoirting "back-to-back" shuffle play. Should I be using
| separate CD and MiniDisc units or can I achieve some control when using
| CD-MD combo units or bookshelf systems.

How MD recorders handle long silences in the input varies from unit to unit,
and there's no sharp demarcation whereby one can say all decks do this, all
portables do that, and all combination systems do it a third way.

It does boil down to this: to the best of my limited knowledge, there is no
recorder that can be set to remove all silence automatically.  (If it could,
how could it tell a track or CD change from a caesura in the middle of a
song, which should be preserved?)  No matter what the recorder does, it will
preserve some of the silence, so you'll have to edit it out if you want none
at all.  I also have an application where there should be no silence between
tracks, and I just separate it and delete it.

| If I use CD-MD combo decks or bookshelf systems for the exercise, can I use
| the "easy-record" functions on these decks and "clean up" the MiniDisc using
| the unit's editing functions (chisel off silent leaders and trailers by
| dividing at the head and tail of the song then erasing the blank tracks) or
| should I stick to total "hands-on" manual control during the recording
| sessions.

Either way.  Just delete the silences after recording.  Sync recording will
reduce and usually eliminate the silent leaders, but no matter how quick your
finger is to hit PAUSE when a track ends, you'll still have those trailers.