A while ago some posts discussed
problems with the optical digital output of
portable Sony CD players. The problem mentioned
was that most models only enabled the output when
the CD player was connected to the mains.

I bought the Sony D-E555 a couple of days ago
and was quite surprised that the optical output works
fine while using the battery as well! As soon as I plug
in an optical cable, this unit disables the ESP (anti-shock)
circuits and turns on a proper digital output. I compared
the digital out to my stationary Sony CD player and
couldn't really hear a difference. So now I can copy
CDs onto my R50 whenever I want to...

The D-E555 sells for EUR150 in Germany.

BTW, I'm offering a spare R50 cable remote with display
(which works great with the R30 model) on ebay Germany
for a starting bid of EUR 32. See:
http://www.eBay.de/static/auction/06/0642/064253/06425392.html
if interested.

Martin