Anthony Horan wrote:

> Now, a Melbourne electronics store called Jaycar (www.jaycar.com.au) has
> NiMh AA-sized batteries for sale for about $4.50 each, which to me looks
> like a good replacement for Sony's NiCd offering - larger capacity, less
> memory effect, etc. What I'm wondering, though, is:

I have bought many of the 1400mAh cells.

I have a panasonic CD player, and they supplied 2 rechargeable cells
where there was an exposed part on the side of the cell which a 3rd
contact connected to to recharge. The cells supplied were 1000mAh
nicads.

I cut back the green plastic wrapper in the same way as the panasonic
cells exposing the negative terminal to connect to the 3rd terminal.

Charge fine. Works fine, Great battery life

Plus, the CD player can tell me when its low batt. with the nicads it
gave about 5 mins warning. with the nimh I get about 45 mins of warning.

> * Is there something particularly special about Sony's supplied batteries
> that makes them different to normal rechargables, therefore explaining the
> "warning" in the manual?

Yes, they are nicad. If people were to try charging the rechargeable
alkaline "renewal" cells they may have a messy leakage of battery acid.
Plus sony cannot say for certain that it will charge other cells ok.

Covering there ass in case some mule puts dry cells in and try's to
charge them.

> * Given that the NiMh batteries have a larger capacity than the NiCd's, can
> I charge the NiMh batteries safely in the MZ-R37?

It will take longer, but most gear is built with decent charger designs
that will still fully charge it.

> And, of course, would I get much benefit battery-life wise by using them?
> If I recall the NiMh batteries in question (generic ones, incidentally)
> quote a 1300MaH capacity (the full specs are on the Jaycar site)?

Yes, you will.