make sure you're using the discman while it's plugged into
an AC adaptor.  I've heard a few things about optical being
turned off while in battery mode.  Not sure if this is the case
with all portables, but worth looking into.  You might be able
to fool it if you run from battery but have the adapter plugged
in at the same time.  that last one was just a guess, I've never tried it.

good luck, and let us know what happens