Jim,

My SB Live Value OEM certainly has the digital connector on board
for interfacing the CD-ROM drive, but that isn't how you interface
with the digital I/O daughter boards.  There is a bank of pins on
the right hand side of the board labelled AUD_EXT (usually 12 pins
on the value cards, but mine has 40 like the non-value edition SB
Live).  Hoontech ships a combo-adaptor with the I/O III that connects
to the AUD_EXT pins of both the SB Live and the SB Live Value.  Plug
it in and you have optical in/out, coax in/out, cd digital in, etc.