Someone had described the Discam thus:

| > Because the MD Discam camcorder is an expansion of MiniDisc audio
| > technology, pre-recorded MD audio discs can also be played back in
| > the unit for convenience.

And Alexander Dietrich asked,

| Why only pre-recorded discs ? According to the latest "poll" on md-l,
| this feature will hardly ever be used then...

Perhaps "pre-recorded" there didn't mean "premastered" but rather "previously
recorded": in other words, it won't record in audio MD format, but it will
play MDs back.  That's not so bad.

If it really does mean "premastered," and it will play only optical MDs but
not magneto-optical recordings, then I agree fully with Alexander.