From: Jeffrey Lan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 12:45 AM
Subject: MD: the perfect md portie.....

> Hi all...
>
> here'sa message that sony will (hopefully) notice...
> feature's i would want in a portie recorder...
>
> -slot in

No, please not that. If they do that I hope they make 2 models. Slot-in
units are a real B*st*rd to clean, and II believe that accessibility for
cleaning is important.

> -dual md slots (switch toggles controls between each md, makes recoding
live
> material easier...stick in 2 mds, when the 1st ones full, flip the switch
> and it'll start recording on the 2nd one while the TOC's updated on the
> first one....)

No, why be half hearted? Put two MDs in and itswitches over to start
recording automatically when the first reaches the end. In "relay mode" this
could allow you to swap the first disc (after the TOC is written obviously)
and insert a blank one, allowing continuous recording until you run out of
discs. Using "relay mode" on playback would result in seemless joining of
the discs, so you can listen to 8 hour long shows without any breaks in the
music (although you will have to move to swap discs).

> -name bank

Eh? Do you mean titles for tracks? We have that already....

> -manual recording for line and mic inputs

We have that too....

> -record button with cap to cover "rec" label and red color...makes it
easier

I like the little button you have to push in on the record switch. A push
and slide action is quite hard to hit by accident.

> to believe that it's a "play only" machine when a security gaurd takes a
> close look at it

Simple. Remove innerds from old walkman and put the MD in there. Screw
walkman closed with as few screws as possible (dont forget to take
screwdriver) and when they look at it they think it's a "play-only" walkman.
Who would guess theres an MD unit inside? WHen you get inside you just open
the walkman and take it out!

> -keyboard input jack

The remote jack will take a keyboard with a converter box. I'd rather have
the circuitry on the outside (it's quite complex) and would add a lot of
size and weight to the unit.

> -OPTICAL OUT!!!!!

YES!!!!! Sorry... did I sound enthusiastic there? ;o)

> -Resume, but w/o ES

This does what? Continues playing from where you left off? Portable MDs all
do that don't they?

> -ES switch (sony users wont go crazy, sharp users wont lose recordings)

If there's one thing I would like to change on my Sony, that is it. The
switch shouild be the other way around - you push hold it down when you
press record to invoke "overwrite" mode, otherwise it just adds a track to
the end.

> -backlit unit and remote

Yep.

> -sony "smart stick" remote w/ extra functions ("highly intelligent
cylinder"
> instead of "smart stick?")

Like voice recognition for the ultimate way to really title tracks?

> -comes with docking station for boombox or deck-like use at home

That could be done so easily... just make a large version of the remote and
put a space for the MD to sit in.

> -comes in dark red, silver, gold, blue, and "liquid crystal" shells
(liquid
> crystal changes colors depending on heat, kinda like having an mood md
> instead of a mood ring)

What about green?

> -shoulder strap (like on the panasonic shockwave)

SHOULDER STRAP?!??! How big is this thing? I was thinking R90 size....

> -alarm function (like the aiwas)

I suppose.....

> -comes with good headphones

Otherwise known as the "miracle" factor. Personally I think you're more
likely to get the voice recognition titler......

> -can be used while being recharged

That would be a nice touch, but I still haven't encountered a time when I
need to do this. I suppose some people find it useful though (like if you
don't have a whole room full of MD equipment!).

> that's all i can think of now
>
> Jeffrey Lan<---current record holder for youngest md-l'er at 14 years
(until
> June 22, 2000, anyways)

I have a little friend Joe who is 12 and has an MD (R37). Anybody know of
any younger MD users? If you want to "funk up" an MD, there's some great
stickers out there! Joe's got Star Wars stickers on his (clear pastic ones
which make it look like they're part of the MD!).

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]