=======================BEGIN QUOTE=======================================
Perhaps someone at Sony watches this list and will improve the software
to fix shuffle mode 3 in future releases.  My guess is that it would involve
buying a new head unit (BTW I'm using the unilink control part of the RF
adapter with the audio feeding directly into "aux" inputs on my radio) and
maybe a new switching unit...
======================END QUOTE=========================================
This could be achieved in the software regarding 10-15 seconds at the end of
the current track being regarded as "end of message". At this point, the
switching unit begins the shuffle process and tells one of the changers to
play a randomly selected track from a randomly selected disc into the buffer
and then wait around until the current track actually finishes. When this
happens, the switching unit starts that changer.

Changer firmware would have to support a new "ready to play" function which
causes the unit to be ready to play a nominated track from a nominated disc.
This function would cause the changer to put away the current disc into the
store, take the desired disc out of the store then go to the nominated track
and be ready to play. It would fail if there is no suitable disc in the
store.

This would allow a switching unit in a multi-changer setup to pass "ready to
play" commands whenever tracks end during all-disc shuffle play; or provide
near-instant changer "wrapping" as discs are selected.

With regards,

Simon Mackay

PS: Are any manufacturers watching this list and learning from it how they
can improve their products?