I should point out, although it is not MD related, the ProScan, Hitachi
and RCA HDTV set I wrote about will not only not take component input
from progressive scan DVD players, it will also not accept component
input from today's NORMAL sub $ 300 DVD players that have component
outputs and yet there are TV's that sell for as little as $ 700 that do
have this feature.

To make it more comparable with audio MD, it's like running an MD
portable without a line out jack into an amplifier from a headphone
jack. It works, but you have to turn the volume way up and it just
doesn't sound exactly right.

The difference between S-Video inputs rated at 425 lines of resolution
and component video inputs rated at 540 lines of resolution is less
obvious, but it is there. If you're paying top dollar for state of the
art equipment, you should get ALL the features state of the art
equipment will handle at the time you buy it.

Which makes Sony's choice of leaving an IEEE 1394 Firewire link out of
their forthcoming MD Discam even more frustrating. Especially since SCMS
can already be defeated with Mini DV and Digital 8 tapes, for anyone who
cares to record stereo music this way.