From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Jeff Medin
Sent: November 21, 1999 4:16 PM
To: Mini-Disk Digest Mail List
Subject: MD: Etymotic ER4S Earphones-- Oh My G-D!!!!

This is a combo Minidisc and Headphone post -- so I will take the
liberty of posting to both the MINIDISC "http://www.mindisc.org" forum
as well as the HEADWIZE HEADPHONE "http://www.headwize.com" forum.

I just received both a pair of Etymotic ER4S Earphones
"http://www.etymotic.com" along with an AIRHEAD Headphone Amp from
Headroom "http://www.headphone.com" for use with my new SHARP 831 MD
Player/Recorder.

I have died and gone to heaven! The SHARP/ETY Combo sounds incredible.

Sounds better than my home system with Polk satellites/sub woofer combo
driven by an APT/Holman Pre & Power amp.

The Ety's are real magic makers and can be driven (IMO!) to respectable
sound levels directly from my 831 WITHOUT an external amp.

The AIRHEAD AMP makes them louder, but the "sonic processor" effect is
barely noticeable if at all.  I will call HEADROOM Monday, maybe I got a
bad unit (it happens). So far, I find no need for the amp.

HEADROOM is a GREAT company with AWESOME products.  I got the AIRHEAD,
my Ety's, and an MD Carry Case which is just the ticket, and priceless
advice.  Shipped in 2 days--for free!

They Ety's quite simply supply the most accurate rendition of sound that
can come from ANYTHING electronic (with a headphone jack!). It is like
plugging your brain directly into the stereo miniplug of my SHARP 831 MD
Player/Recorder!

No wonder they cost $300 Bucks! (But are on sale at HEADROOM for $269.)
My wife said I was out of my mind (to spend 3 bills on cans) and I just
got ALL my Christmas presents).

The last time I was that impressed by anything sonic was:
1) The first time I heard Dahlquist DQ-10's (in their day) driven by
tube Mac's
2) When I auditioned the Original Carver Amazing Loudspeakers -- driven
by Original        Carver Megawatt Amps. (in their day)
3) When I first heard my new SHARP 831 thru Sony MDR-E888 Ear Buds (the
888's are brand    new and for sale off list--contact me directly if
interested [EMAIL PROTECTED])

Be aware that aside from the price, the Ety's are not for everyone.  My
wife's ears are small and finds them VERY UNCOMFORTABLE (She loves her
Sony 600's). Although she is  also AWED by the sound. (For about another
$100 or so you can get custom ear molds made!) I find them comfortable
with both the supplied sound isolating silicone or the foam tips.

ETYMOTIC RESEARCH also makes an ER4P for portables.  Check out the
HEADROOM site for the differences.  Major difference is that the "P" has
a lower impedance (27 ohms VS 100 ohms) than the ER4S.  The "S" is
accurate, but very difficult to drive from most portables, but ER4P can
be driven from portables without an amp, BUT they will not sound the
same as the ER4S (less accurate, etc.).

I NEVER thought I would spend 3 Bills on headphones, I am now a convert
and will not travel far from home without my SHARP 831 MD and my Ety
ER4S phones.  No more "Bud's" for this guy!