From: Jeff DeMaagd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 1999 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: MD: Overclocking - definitely OT

> OOOH, a 13% speed increase.  Can you even notice it
> without timing something?

Yes. It saves me around 48 hours on a large ray-traced animation render. I
consider that worth it. THat means if I render a video (which I do quite
often) I get full use of the PC back 2 days earlier.

> > My P3 450MHz is running quite happily at 540MHz with
> a bus speed of 40MHz.<
>
> Typo?  Still, it is only a 20% speed increase.

More than 20% actually. Average of about 48% due to the 50% increase on RAM
timings which are a large factor.

> Um, Duh.  But then, don't kid yourself into thinking
> Intel had the fastest CPU on the market.  It isn't
> even near the top five, neither is AMD.  I've had a
> _real_ 500MHz CPU running before Intel figured out how
> to clock at 350 safely.

Yes, but having large scale server systems in a living room isn't exactly
practical. FOr one thing they're quite large and they also get very hot. If
I had the money I would have bought an Amulet asynchronus processor which is
about 200 times faster than the fastest clocked CPU.

> Now can we get on topic before we have a public
> flogging?  There are other lists to discuss your
> little PCs.

Nope. Public floggings are good for the soul...... man.... yeah.

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]