That is a pretty old recoder and it uses a primitive ATRAC version.
The battery in it is now 5 years old and nearing the end of it's life.
Your best bet is to save up for a current model.  I have seen the Sharp
702 sell new for $189 with t $50 rebate.  I think the rebate offer is
over but here it is for $179 US  http://www.netmarket.com/

and here is another http://www.ebyweb.com/ebyweb/porminplay.html

check this out  http://www.gabtoof.com/minidisc24/table1.htm

Dan Hergott wrote:

> Hi I am considering purchasing a used MZ-R1 for $145 CDN ($90 US)
> Does this seem ok in price for a unit that was manufactured in 1994?
>
> Will it sound ok compared to CD.  I was getting to record live music and
> to record music from FM radio?
> I could purchase a MZ-R37 brand new for $309. CDN    but I don't have
> that much money to spend so it would
> take a couple of months to save up for it.
>
> As well to those who use(d)  the MZ-R1    I would appreciate your
> comments you have on the unit.
>
> --
> Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jim Coon