> As I discovered by cracking open a "gold" MD case, the disc inside is
> usually not gold colored.  The gold coloring comes from a gold tint to the
> plastic window in the case.

It depends.  Some of the gold coloured discs are a result of tinting, and
others are real gold.  When I purchased my discs in Japan, it was clear
(either in the packaging or price) which was which.

Should it affect anything ?  Not likely.  The difference in reflectivity is
pretty minimal, so if your machine is having problems with one and not the
other, then there is something wrong with the optical block.

Wayne