Hi guys,
Last week I bought the Soundsystem DMX by Terratec. I'd like to share my first
impressions:
I opened the box to find the following:
- Soundsystem DMX card rev 1.1 It looks really beautiful; black with gold
connectors.
- Digital Extension card rev 1.2
- 3 cables; 1 to connect the dig.ext. to the DMX, one to connect the DMX to
your stereo and one cable, that's not listed anywhere. I haven't installed it
and yet the soundcard does seem to work.
- 1 German Manual; kind of strange considering I bought this in the
Netherlands. Unfortunately there was no English manual.
- 1 CD with drivers and software

Installing it was rather easy (On Windows 98). Plug the card in a PCI slot.
Connect the dig.ext. Reboot and Windows found a PCI Multimedia Soundcard.
After inserting the CD-ROM my PC was rebooted twice, after which the software
was installed. The Software is IMHO nothing special. Only Wavelab Lite seemed
to have some use to me.

I immediately tried out the dig out/in, but was surprised to see I could only
use the dig.out or dig.in at one time. So no simultanious dubbing via the
card. Also the method of selecting works rather strange and changing
selections sometimes "locks up" the digital out. It just stops until
re-initialized. The digital in / out do work really good and I don't hear any
hiss or any other noise not already there on MD. The SCMS changing I can't
figure out. My German is not all that, so I haven't been able to find how to
select "Unlimited Copy". What I really find strange is that the soundcard
seems unable to play multible WAVE streams at one time. On my Aurial Vortex 1
card I used to have Winamp playing my own music while playing games, but I can
no longer do this. The soundquality is outstanding. Almost no hiss when
recording from analog out and of course the 4 speaker experience (with
sub-woofer) is really great. Also support for A3D AND EAX is really cool !

All things said;
I AM happy with this card, because I can now have digital in and out, BUT I am
a bit disappointed that the SCMS thing doesn't work (?) and the minor things
(like only one simultanious wave playing)

Tom Daniels