>   Just for kicks, I encoded the 35 second orchestral sample to MP3,
digitally
> via a CD ripper program. I encoded it using BladeEnc.dll in Windows, at
320
> kbps dual stereo, and 128 kbps dual stereo. I did dual stereo to try to
give
> the MP3 format an advantage in how wide a sound stage it could present,
> because those joint stereo encodes I've done in the past just sound...
> Narrow, I guess...

BTW, from all reports, BladeEnc is an absolutely horrible MP3 encoder
(perhaps even worse than Xing!).  Sure, it's free, but it's based on the ISO
reference source code, which was only released as an example of working code
for companies writing commercial MP3 encoders to look at.  It was never
intended to be used as is, and as such, it has some serious known flaws in
its psychoacoustic model, as well as many bugs.

Fortunately for us, there's a better (also free, and open source)
alternative, which I'm really surprised that not more people know about.
It's called LAME, and it's available here:

http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/

LAME was also based on the ISO reference code, but there are some very smart
people working on it, and over the years, they've fixed many bugs and
essentially written a completely new psychoacoustic model called GPSYCHO.
It's available for Windows, UNIX, and just about any other OS with a
command-line interface, and the web site has some very useful info about MP3
and LAME, so I highly recommend checking it out..

BTW, you can even use LAME as a drop-in replacement for BladeEnc.dll in
Windows, so there's absolutely no excuse to use BladeEnc any more!  Please
spread the word, as I hate to see people using shoddy MP3 encoders simply
because they don't know any better..

-Jake