--- Rick Pali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: Jake Hamby
> > (though, again, without blind listening tests,
> > I'll accept the possibility that this
> > could just be in my head right now!).
>
> I'm certain that most people don't even believe that
many more things that just the sound itself affects
how one perceives the quality of sound reproduction,
nevermind those that will go to the trouble of
actually setting up a test to remove as many of those
factors. I find it refreshing that someone will put
their beliefs to the test rather than just arguing
about it. My hat's off to you, Jake.<

Ohh, yeah.  Prejudices come into play big time.
Psychologists have put the exact SAME detergent into a
nondescript yellow box and equally plain blue box, and
the users in the test swear that the detergents
cleaned differently!  I forget which way, I think the
'yellow' didn't get clothes clean enough and 'blue'
was too harsh.  Also, when variables differ so little
that they are at the periphery of perception, it is
too easy to imagine things that aren't there.  Also,
not knowing which brand or standard is being tested at
any given time helps make the results more valid, but
I only read this from a textbook, so I'm not an expert
here.

Jeff