Ralph, the cable I am using is probably analogue.  But
remember that I am using it to playback the MD player
in an analogue mode.  I am connecting it to the
Headphone output and into my car's CD player's aux
jack.  I have done the same thing with another
miniplug that is a few years old, and definitely
analogue.  That one works fine.  I also have a set of
Sony portable speakers with a miniplug connection, and
they work with it.  It seems silly; but it seems to me
with the new, thicker cables that they are selling in
the stores now that the miniplug is not making
contact.  Maybe the plug is slightly tapered and
doesn't go in all the way?

Also, I had the problem with the same brand of cable
with digital optical to miniplug (this time the
miniplug connecting to the optical/analogue input jack
on the MD).