Martin Buder wrote:

> Hi all,
> as I will be travelling for a long time and would like to take the
> maximum of music with me, MD seems to be the right solution for me ..
> Even better would be to transport the MDs 'naked', without the 'bulky'
> plastic- envelopes in a handy hardpaper- roll and putting one into a
> plastic Adaptorc just before inserting them into the player.
> Does anybody know if such a solution exists - does anybody have an idea
> how I could realise that ?
> It would easily save 2/3 of the space and half of the weight, I think..
> Any Ideas ?

I would say that would effectively defeat a few of the primary design
features of MD, durability and scratch resistance.  A small "naked"
media already exists, the 3" CD.  Not so common in the US, but I believe
the 3" CD is available in Asian countries in CD-R (and maybe even CD-RW)
form.  Most portable CD players can play 3" CDs.
Of course, you COULD break open your MDs and keep them naked, then put
them into a plastic case before inserting them into the player.  In
fact, if you defeat certain microswitches in a portable clamshell
player, it's possible to play a naked MD.  I've done it in the past with
one of those sample prerecorded MDs that I didn't really care for.

--
Shawn Lin
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gmwbodycars/