> Date: 14 Dec 1999 21:23:42 -0500
> From: Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: MD: Batteries.

> * Ray West <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  on Tue, 14 Dec 1999
> | Just a note, which can save you some grief.
> | Be aware if you're using Nicads or NiMH rechargeable batteries (both have a
> | nominal cell voltage of 1.2V). Nicads tend to have a memory effect,
>
> Please read the "Battery FAQ" at <URL:http://www.cadex.com/>.  The short
> version is, memory is a myth.  What is commonly called "memory" is usually
> the result of crystalline formations or deposits on the internal contacts
> caused by overcharging.  A deep discharge cycle or two can sometimes undo
> some of the damage.

I've read the FAQ re: Ni-cads, and many other similar papers. Your summary is
ok, but it is perhaps best to prevent the crystal growth in the first place -
hence the trend toward Ni-MH and Li-ion. There are other
advantages/disadvantages for each type, of course. The point of my original post
was, just because a Ni-cad, or Ni-MH will fit in a particular charger, be
careful in what you do. I know of folk who discharge Ni-cads with a lamp, or
similar, down to zero volts, and then they wonder why the batteries fail
quickly. There had been a previous posting to this list which presented, at
least to my mind, a rather cavalier attitude to batteries. It is quite possible
to overcharge Ni-Mh batteries with the wrong (e.g. Ni-cad) charger, and they can
then severely overheat, and even explode.

Sharp warn against using Ni-cads in some of there md recorders, but primary
cells and Ni-Mh are OK. Although they have not said why this should be, I
suspect it is due to the fact that Ni-cads would not last long, since the
inbuilt charging circuit does not cater for the discharge cycle. Also, there is
a higher power density in Ni-Mh batteries. Maybe they detect the rise in
temperature, or the peak voltage, when the Ni-Mh battery is charged, in order to
switch off the charge circuitry. Using an external Ni-cad charger and Ni-cads
would be OK, but the built in charge circuit would possibly be unsuitable.

Best wishes,

Ray