It sounds as though the optical block is on it's way out...
Sony Australia wanted $550 to repair my MZ-R2 - I bought a Sharp 701 for
the same price....
Then I read some excellent detail on MD-L that repaired my MZ-R2
permanantly - it still works after 2.5 yrs.]
I forget the detail - it's probably on Rick's MDCP somewhere.
The instructions explain how to set the lens focus/bias - it worked great
for my R2 but I have heard of others having no luck with it, which means
that there is probably more than one failure mode for the optical block....

Can't help with the MP3 problem

Yes, the record level can only be changed whilst in record-pause.

GB