==========BEGIN QUOTE==========================
  In fact, I can record CD/RW's of DMX (Digital Music Express) and
dub them back to CD-R on my Marantz CD Recorder and the SCMS does not kick
in!!

Could the CD-RW unit that you recorded the DMX tracks onto be observing the
digital radio exception in its SCMS logic -- making a digital recording
derived from digital radio a "Penultimate" recording and the CD-Rs that you
make when you "boil-down" the CD-R/W be marked as "Final"?

The DMX box could be identifying itself as a "digital tuner" in its SP-DIF
Category Code and this is assessed as part of SCMS logic to allow recordings
of the SP-DIF stream to be marked as "Penultimate".

With regards,

Simon Mackay