----------------->
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:53:23 -0800
From: "Ian McFarlane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MD: Sony MDR-E888LP Earbuds

 === The original message was multipart MIME            ===
 === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

"To put it in a sentence, these are probably the best sounding
headphones that you can buy. "..........

----------------->
Dear Ian,

I got rid of my SONY 888's.  That's because I heard a pair of ETYMOTIC
4S's.

My 888 LP's sounded *OK*, much better than any other *SONY* earbuds, and
that was after about 40 hours of careful break-in.  Out of the box they
sounded like the others.

Then I heard the ETYMOTIC 4S earphones.  "To put it in a sentence, these
are the best sounding headphones that you can buy." (IMHO)  Please see
my detailed review and comparison in a previous post to this forum about
a month ago.  In that review I also mention the SONY 888's.  (I tried to
sell them!)

True, the 888's very well may be one the better *EARBUDS*, but my
"stock" SHARP Earbuds that came with my SHARP MD831 MD sounded better
than the 888's. (again, IMHO)

The 888's can be also be purchased from MCM Electronics in Ohio, on the
web at "http://www.mcmelectronics.com", for about ~$65-70 (NOTE: MCM has
BOTH versions of the 888's, the STD and the LP).

There are many written reviews in respected Audio pages about the Ety's
and they are UNANIMOUSLY positive from all who listened.  But the Ety's
ARE in a different class, as they do sell for about $270.

However, the GRADO SR-60's as mentioned by another subscriber, have long
been regarded by many as one of *THE* Best Sounding Headphones.!, AND
they only cost about ~65-$70,  the same price as the 888's.

Please note, I am not associated with Etymotic Research or Grado, and do
not have any financial interest in anyone who sells them.

But Earphones, like SPEAKERS, are very personal and what sounds good to
one, does not always sound good to another.

I have heard from three separate sources that the SONY 888's are being
discontinued by SONY.  Wonder why?

The best source for ANYTHING related to headphones or headphone
accessories is the HEADWIZE site at "http://www.headwize.com".  If it
has to do with headphones, you WILL find it here.  I highly recommend
all MD owners to bookmark this site and visit it frequently.  It is
loaded with interesting info and run by Chu Moy, a most knowledgeable
and extremely helpful headphone expert.