----- Original Message -----
From: David Fincher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 27, 1999 6:35 AM
Subject: MD: Copyright question

> With all the discussion about copyright, I have a related question that
> I'd like some illumination on.  If I have my own copy of a cassette, and
> the cassette is now defective (eaten by a player, magnetized, baked in
> the sun), is it legal for me to make a copy from a friend's cd (of the
> same album, just the cd version of it) to a minidisc?  I assume since
> I've paid the royalty when I purchased the album that it would be
> legal.  What if the tape is workable, but I just want a digital copy, so
> I borrow a friend's cd and make a copy to md?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> David Fincher

Hi David.

    Yes, this is legal in US and UK because you have bought a commercial
copy and therefore have "permission" to have other copies. You can by all
means copy your friends CD, provided you hang on to the chewed tape, as this
is your "license" for want of a better word, to own a copy.

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]