Rodney typed,

> I run out of space frequently. In fact at times I have been referred to
> as "The Mad Titler" on this list. Here is an example of one particular
> title (and keep in mind I try to title all my tracks like this if there
> are enough characters:)
>
> STEAL MY SUNSHINE (Album Edit) / LEN November 1999 Billboard Hot 100
> Airplay No. 5 November 1999 Billboard No. 9 track from the LP's "You
> Can't Stop The Bum Rush" and the "Go" soundtrack BPM:118
>
> (There is also an LP Version of the same song)

Now, try doing *that* on an MZR-37 with the teensy remote and see if you
don't get RSI :)

I'm impressed - a title like that could well take more time than the length
of the song to scroll past on some portables..!

> Starting in the first week of December 1998 because of the growing trend
> of record labels releasing hit songs to radio without accompying retail
> singles, those songs were eligible to chart on the Billboard Hot 100
> without a retail single being available. This is why, in the example
> above, "Steal My Sunshine" has a higher airplay chart number (the
> airplay chart is still published) than a Hot 100 chart number, because
> all the song's points are from radio airplay and none from retail
> singles sales, since there is no U.S. retail single.

This is, to me, the height of absurdity, and good evidence that the "Hot
100" is worthless as an indicator of what's actually making its way into
people's homes in the US. There's a separate airplay chart for a reason.

What next - albums only released to radio, not to consumers?

>Other songs like
> Lou Bega's "Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of...)", although technically are
> retail singles, in all practicality, are not because the Lou Bega song
> is available in the U.S. only as a 12 inch VINYL single, a pretty
> miniscule sales market compared to commercially available CD singles.

There must be a good import market there for UK and Australian-originated CD
singles.

- Anthony