hi,
        i recorded my first concert with my new sharp 702. i have recorded many
gigs of all types over the past two years with my sony mz-r30 , with never
less than excellent results. i used the sharp cause i was a schmuck and
forgot to charge the sony's battery. anyway, i had a very different
experience with my sharp than i usually havce with my sony.
        first, i notice that the line level on the sharp has to be set much higher
while recording than i would with the sony. i used the line in, with a
battery box and sound pro mics, the same set up i've always used with the
sony. the band was rock, moderately loud. with the sony, a level of around
60 % would give good results. with the sharp, i had to set at almost full
level, 27 out of 30 on the level scale. even then , the quiet parts are
very low, the loud about 4 db below peak.
        also, there is a loud pop a various points on the recording, seems more to
be in the left channel. i should have paid more attention to it, seeing if
there was a pattern, like a time interval. i digitally removed them one at
a time before i realized it was a problem, rather than one random pop. my
sony NEVER puts randon, loud pops on a MD.
        another thing that bugs me is you can set the line levels on the fly with
the remote, but the remote display doesnt show the levels. thats a pain,
negates the idea of a remote, at least for that function.
        any experience or ideas in using the sharp effectively are appreciated.
would i have been better off using the mic jack? can you use a mic jack
,that supplies phantom power to the mics , with a powered battery/bass roll
off box? i have always used the line in on the sony with the battery box.

thanks all,
Mike Hooker