But in this case, I believe he was referring strictly to an optical S/PDIF
connection, and in which case, there are no differences, audibly speaking.
Bits are still bits from start to finish and the only thing that can come of
a cheaper cable is perhaps a shorter lifespan or even less resilience to
fracturing of the actual glass fibres. I've been using el-cheapo optical
cables for as long as I've been dealing in digital audio in professional
applications without a hitch. You'll either get sound, or you won't.

In the case of a coaxial connection, granted there are differences. It is
then worth investing in a good quality 75 ohm lead for such connections to
minimise the effects of electrical noise on the cable. On that, I do agree
with you wholeheartedly. Bear in mind as well, that in the case of digital
audio, digital outputs have nothing to do with the ADC/DAC stage as far as
transferring the data from one digital audio device to another is concerned.
The only time the DAC comes into play is when that digital audio has to be
converted to an analogue output for the sake of plugging into an analogue
device, such as an amplifier. Otherwise, in digital transfer, the ADC/DAC
stages are skipped.

Adios,
LarZ

---------------  TAMA - The Strongest Name in Drums  ---------------