I can connect through my cable modem at almost any time of the day or night
to MP3.COM and get a 128K 44khz streaming playback in about 2 seconds
without any stuttering or interruptions. It's not generally the server, it's
your connection to the internet, or the routing between you and the server.
It also has a great deal to do with the software you use to play the stream.
I was never able to get a stable stream with Winamp, but Sonique works
great. It could also be that you are doing other things on the computer
while playing the audio. That will almost always cause stuttering or pauses.

-- Martin