A question and an observation...

Can anyone recomend (or point me to) which CDROMs have an S/PDIF output that
is stable during pause, seek, etc.

I think that stable S/PDIF is necessary regardless of whether the CDROM is
connected to an MD recorder or a sound card.  The S/PDIF receiver chip (the
most popular are Crystal CS8412 & CS8414) has a PLL to extract the clock
signal, which requires a finite amount of lock time.  It *does not* lock on
the first frame!

That said, I have to give poor marks to the S/PDIF inputs on the Sony
MDS-PC2.  They are unable to lock to the S/PDIF from an M Audio DIO2448 and
they MDS-PC2 requires longer than it should to lock to to CDROM's S/PDIF
after it glitches.  This may have to do with the fact that it tries to lay
down (multiple) track marks when the S/PDIF lock is shaky.  (M Audio tech
support did finally get back to me, stating that Sony products were known to
have problems sometimes with accepting S/PDIF from non-Sony.)