[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> With all the talk of cool applications for SLink, this came to mind. I have
> a huge database of CDs in CATraxx(awesome CD collection DB) and it would be
> really cool if I could control a few 300 disc changers from inside CATraxx.

If you can put up with an access database then have a look at
http://www.nirvis.com/ - the slink-e and CDJ will do what you want

> Even cooler is if CompilationMaker could control the changers and a MD
> deck!

Someone has writen a program (Minidisc Manager) that does just that.

> I'm thinking that it would be a much better product then the Escient
> boxes(basically a computer with a S-Link port and a modem, that calls up a
> server and downloads CDDB info about your CDs, designed for custom home
> installs) and way more flexible!

> As far as interfacing with S-Link, I'm willing to bet that the serial port
> converter box behaves identically to the S-Link port on the back of my Sony
> Digital Studio PC, and is totally passive. A while ago I found a program
> that controlled a CD changer using S-Link that just talked S-Link out the
> serial port, and it was able to control my changer.

There is a program that talks slink out the printer port, but its too
timing critical to trust to windows.