Jim Gray wrote,

| I guess I'm gonna have to try that timer thing, so can we assume that
| when you press "timer' on your Sony deck, it puts into an Eprom (or
| whatever) a command to start recording when power comes back on?

You don't press it; you leave a switch lever at that setting.  When the power
comes back on, the boot-up routines in ROM check the position of that lever:
record, off, or play.

| Why couldn't they just explain this in the manual?

Because they can't write manuals to save their lives.  The timer functions
are described HORRIBLY.  When I got my first deck with the facility I could
not make any sense out of the instructions on how to use it; I figured it out
by guesswork.