> Jeff Medin :
>
> >I am going to get a new computer very soon.  What is the "most
> >compatible" sound board for use with (optical I/O) minidisc work. (Maybe
> >MP3 down the road) But for now, it's mainly making compilation MD's from
> >CD's.
>
> I went for an Soundblaster Live! Platinum. It has an expansion box which
> fits in a spare disk bay and allows front access to digital SPDIF (RCA),
> optical, analogue aux2 (RCA) and MIDI (DIN), all both in and out, as well
> as a microphone and headphone socket. There's also the usual line in/out,
> CD and mic sockets on the card too.

I think I ought to point out that the US version of the Live! Platinum
*doesn't* have the optical i/o for some reason. Nothing's in it's place -
there's just blank space on the front panel where it should go.

Something to check before you buy Jeff - an alternative might be a
combination of Soundblaster Live! and one of Hoontech's products
 http://www.hoontech.com ).

--
Simon