"Martin Schiff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In the meantime, the Opcode Sonicport is a very easy way to get
>>optical digital i/o between an MD and a PC hard drive. It's not
>>cheap, I believe around $200. Also, the Yamaha RP-U100 "Personal
>>Reciever" offers (amoung other things) optical digital i/o via
>>USB. it runs $500.
>
>Why would you want to spend that much money when you can get a
>soundcard with digital in and out, and a digital CD connection
>for $70? Of course, your CDROM has to have digital out (most
>don't).

Because the Yamaha @PET (RP-U100) is the coolest thing to come along in a
long time ;-)

It has built-in A/D *and* D/A converters, a Dolby Digital decoder, AM/FM
tuner, a hefty output amp, and a digital signal processor. You can use
your PC (and pretty soon, your Mac) to run the whole thing via USB.

INPUTS:
USB
Coax digital S/PDIF
TosLink digital S/PDIF
2 Analog (RCA)

OUTPUTS:
TosLink digital S/PDIF
Analog passthrough
Speaker
Subwoofer
Headphone

Yamaha info:
<http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/newprods/PChometheater/pchtinfo.htm>

Stereophile review:
<http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?191>

Put a set of PSB Alphas on this thing and you've got the best computer/MD
setup you could ask for...