=== The original message was multipart MIME            ===
 === All non-text parts (attachments) have been removed ===

Howdy all,
    a little while back, a week or so anyway someone wrote in asking =
about generational loss of atrac encoding.  I'm sorry i dont remember =
the name of the book i read this in, but here are a few little things =
that i recall from it.  First off most of this stuff is in theory only =
and in reality doesn't apply.  I remember reading that if in a perfect =
environment you had 2 identical recorder/players that had digital =
inputs/outputs and no attenuational loss whatsoever that when you =
recorded from your original source to the first generation of atrac =
there would be a loss of quality, however in that "perfect" world where =
it was all digital and no attenuation or any other interference at all, =
going from your recorder/player to your other identical md =
recorder/player since the ATRAC systems should be identical and should =
attempt to compress the audio the same in all the same places the =
recording's should not have a generational loss.  remember this is in a =
perfect environment.  however when you go from an ATRAC from one maker =
to another, or even a different generation of ATRAC, there would be a =
larger loss than in that perfect world because it would attempt to =
compress in different areas.  so basically what it was trying to say is =
that if you recorded from let's say a denon DMD-1000 to another DMD-1000 =
and back and forth forever you would get less generational loss than =
going from a DMD-1000 to a sony PC-2 and back and forth because the =
ATRAC encoding systems would attempt to comrpess the audio in different =
areas.  Anyway if i can find the book that was in i'll let ya'll know.  =
I hope this helps out a little bit, and remember this is all in a =
"perfect" environemt which we all know does not exist so it's pretty =
much a moot point, but i thought it might help someone out there :)

Later
Matt

 === MIME part removed : text/html; ===