On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, David W. Tamkin wrote:

        Hi,

> Reportedly, optical connections are not so good over great lengths.  I'm
> thinking of doing something that would require connecting two devices that
> are about 20m apart, and moving them closer to one another is not an availa-
> ble option.  An optical cable could get kinked or bent along the path it
> would need to take, and the device at one end may be prohibitively expensive
> in a model that has optical ports instead of (or as well as) coaxial.
>
> Would coax deliver an S/PDIF signal reliably over such a length?

        I'm running it with 75 Ohm cable (the same that is used for video)
for 15 meters with no problems.

        Hope this helps,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org