On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Timothy P. Stockman wrote:

        Hi,

> Sony MegaStorageŽ CD Changer Control
>
> CD Text and Custom FileT Transfer from CD Via Control A-1 II

        I must mention a couple things related to that. I'm fond of Sony's
specs "blurring" stating facts that aren't real.

        First, (I have a MDS-JA20ES and a CDP-CX57 50+1) the MegaStorageŽ
CD Changer Control is an absolute crap:

        - The MD hangs frequently
        - It introduces short "phantom" songs (5sec or so) while the
jukebox is changing CDs. No matter if you're using digital connections.

        Second, the CD-Text transfer is almost absolutely useless. All
CD-Text CDs (the 2-5% of total available CDs I guess) are CD-Text copy
protected, and the MD will refuse to copy it. So I see null benefit from
that.

        Third, have a closer look at the "Custom File Memory" feature:

        "If you have a Sony CD Player with Custom File memory and S-Link
        interface, you're in luck. The disc names and track names you've
entered for your CDs don't need to be re-entered when you edit to MD!"

        Take this with a grain of salt; first, there are only one "custom
bla bla file" that actually does what expected, ala car changers: remember
CD information based on a per CD (non slot related) basis. And AFAIK, it
can only remember CD titles, not track names. The only case where track
names appear are CD-Text CDs, but those are not copiable!

        I know only about a couple CDP-CX* units that support "Custom File
MEMORY", they are the more (and absolutley unjustified) expensive CX-270
(not absolutely sure) and the CX-350. The rest have "Custom File X",
features, with subtle differences in the term, but huge in the facts.

        The other "custom file..." variants, are crap. You label slot
positions, not CDs itself. There is also an additional 13 character max
limit. Heh, a great way to manage 200 or 300 CDs...

        So my advice is, if you have a computer, to judge MD and CD
Jukeboxes by its sonic quality and connections convenience.

You rather invest the extra cost for those "features" on the only
satisfactory way to handle them on a coordinated/integrated manner:
computer S-Link based solutions (but beware, not the Sony's MD-Editor!).

        I'm working on a S-Link resource site and will announce it on the
list when is done.

        greets,

Francisco J. Montilla               System & Network administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      irc: pukka        Seville            Spain
INSFLUG (LiNUX) Coordinator: www.insflug.org   -   ftp.insflug.org